2021 SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY GRANTS
The Doug Pensinger Photography Fund supports emerging and early-career sports photographers.
Entries will be accepted between March 15 – May 1, 2021.
Photographers with more than 3 years cumulative paid professional experience are considered beyond the scope of the DPPF’s programs.
The DPPF is committed to promoting inclusivity and diversity and to providing free merit-based access to its programs. There is no application fee and the process is open to all aspiring sports photographers.
The process is not limited to U.S. citizens, although international applicants should be aware that paid transportation to the Sports Photography Gathering is limited to U.S. domestic airfare and that the DPPF is not able to provide support for visa procurement.
7 photographers will each receive
- A $5,000 grant, to be spent on career development
- Expenses-paid trip to the 2021 DPPF Sports Photography Gathering (see below) * Travel coverage for the Gathering is limited to U.S. domestic airfare.
3 of the 7 grant winners will be chosen to receive a year-long mentorship opportunity with leading industry professionals on the DPPF Advisory Board. 2020-2021 mentors are Deanne Fitzmaurice, Jed Jacobsohn, and Jamie Squire.
- Mentorship recipients will be chosen based on current profiles and mentorship essay.
- Applying for a mentorship is not required in order to compete for a DPPF grant.
2021 SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY GATHERING
All grant winners receive an expenses-paid trip to the 2021 DPPF Gathering. Held in Golden, CO on September 24-26, 2021, this 2-day event will be led by top working professionals in the business and will include:
- Multiple individual portfolio feedback sessions
- Small group sessions on issues critical to the world of sports photojournalism
- A keynote presentation by a media team from the 2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics
Please note: The Gathering is not a workshop. It is designed to provide career advice, access to leading professionals, and individual feedback on the attendees’ body of work. This dynamic informal gathering will give unprecedented access to high-level working professionals in the business. It will honor Doug Pensinger’s generosity of spirit, strong work ethic, sense of camaraderie, and spirited approach to life and work.
- The 2021 application process will be open from March 15 – May 1, 2021. Submissions will be hosted on Picter.
- Entries must be submitted by 11:59pm (in your local time zone) on May 1, 2021.
- Winners will be announced by July 1, 2021.
Background: Resume/CV and Bio
- Quantity: 20 sports photographs (action and portrait both accepted)
- File: jpg only, 1500 on the long edge
- Timeframe (metadata for each image must include the date it was taken):
- A minimum of 15 of the required 20 images must be current and taken on or after 1/1/2019.
- The remaining 5 required images must be taken on or after 1/1/2017.
Optional Mentorship Essay: Candidates applying for an optional mentorship opportunity must submit a short (1,500-character maximum) essay describing how they would benefit from a mentorship with members of the DPPF’s Advisory Board.
Submissions will be judged on the basis of merit and overall quality. Only complete submissions will be considered, and all decisions by the judges are binding.
Submissions will be judged by members of the DPPF Advisory Board.
Grantees were chosen by an eight-member panel, all of whom served on the Advisory Board of the DPPF. Panel members’ work is featured by Getty Images, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, and major media outlets; they have been recognized by World Press Photo, National Press Photographers Association, the International Olympic Committee, and Pictures of the Year International. Three members of the panel will serve as mentors to the recipients of the $5,000 grants.